Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Top 10 things I do not have all together.

To continue my Tuesday top 10..here is a list of some of the things in my life that I do not have altogether.  Lest you be confused, let me remind you that today is Wednesday.  Which is appropriate.  Put days of the week on the list of things I don't have together.

1.  My house.
Yikes!  If you have ever been over to my home, just know that probably 5 minutes before you walked through the door, I was frantically sweeping up ALL OF THE DOG HAIR.  It's amazing.  I could literally sweep my floor every day and somehow come up with enough dog hair to clothe an entire person.  So I just don't.  I let the dust bunnies/piles of dog hair accumulate in corners and on the rug and hopelessly try to keep my son from eating them.

2.  My closet (aka my bedroom floor).
This is probably the one thing that drives my husband crazy, but like the patient husband he is, he rarely says anything about it.  If I'm looking for my favorite new top/skirt/pants, etc., chances are, it's on the floor.  Or draped haphazardly over my dresser.  Oops.

3.  My garden.
I fantasize about a perfectly manicured lawn, lovely, fragrant blooms in our flowerbeds, and a garden of home grown herbs.  This just does not happen.  Our back yard is doomed due to two large sized dogs who insist on running the same paths over and over and over.  Everything else requires a lot of work and attention that frankly, sits at the bottom of my to-do list.  We get notices from our Homeowner's Association frequently, asking us to weed our beds.  I keep talking about ripping everything out and planting some fool proof, Houston-worthy, low maintenance plants, but life happens, and this does not.

4.  Mother's Day Out.
Every time I walk through those doors, I am met with a gallery of women who have it all together.  Or at least look like they do.  Matching lunch pails and backpacks that are monogrammed, perfectly groomed children, and all in either pristine work-wear complete with heels, or some fancy, matching Nike workout clothes that miraculously have no sweat on them.  Henry and I are lucky to be there on time.  And by on time, I mean 5 minutes late.

5.  My mind.
I'm gonna come right out and blame the pregnancy for this one.  I admit, I thought pregnancy brain was possibly one of the biggest hoaxes to ever be believed by the human race.  Until I got pregnant.  I am still looking for my mind, so if anyone finds it, let me know.

6. My sleep.
This fabulous little article came out recently that says that women need more sleep than men.  Boo-yah!  I knew it.  Now, I feel only slightly less guilty that my husband gets up approximately 1.5-2 hours earlier than me.

7.  Motherhood.
If you ever think you've got this motherhood thing down pat, just wait for the other shoe to drop.  Babies, infants, toddlers, children...they are a constant surprise.  Mostly good things.  But teething...honestly, I could do without that.

8.  My books.
Laugh all you want, but this is a big one.  Normally, I am simultaneously reading two books: one fiction, and one non fiction.  As of now, I think I am 1/4-1/2 of the way through like 5 books.  It makes it very confusing to keep the plots straight.

9.  My cooking.
Let me be clear: I do not love cooking.  I enjoy it when I can do it MY WAY.  As in, go to the grocery store with a list that has been double and triple checked.  Pick up only the things that we need, and not forget anything.  Come home to a clean and empty fridge and organize it my way.  Then proceed to cook everything on my menu without anything spoiling.  THIS NEVER HAPPENS.  My husband and I are the worst about making a last minute decision to eat our favorite take out/fast food while perfectly good food sits in the fridge.  Oops.

10.  My health.
I have been sick more this year than any year I can remember.  Maybe it's Henry, who brings home all kinds of germs from church, school, etc.  Maybe it's increased exposure working in the emergency room.  Maybe it's working nights and getting less sleep than I used to.  This really should be #1, because it's the thing I desperately need to get under control.

Despite the fact that my life is a mess, and likely always will be, God is still able to use me in His story.  In fact, I think the messier my life is, the more glory He gets.  Be encouraged that you do not have to have your life all together for God to use you.  If you are feeling a tugging on your heart, just say "Yes!"  Don't wait for your life to come together, because it never will.


No comments :

Post a Comment