Friday, June 27, 2014

10 years...the long and short of it.

Y'all, look at the difference 10 years makes.

2014
2004

Don't see much of a change?  God bless you, because I can sure tell a difference :)

While I may not look so different on the outside, I can assure you my heart would tell a different story.

Since that first picture I have:

Moved to Waco, TX to begin my education at Baylor University
Completed my degree in biology
Married my sweetie
Moved to Houston, TX to start our life as newlyweds and start PA school at Baylor College of Medicine
Graduated from PA school
Started my first job in primary care in La Porte, TX
Got pregnant with Henry
Changed jobs to work in emergency medicine
Delivered Henry and became a mommy

And that is just my resume.

In that time, I have made and lost friends.  I have celebrated births, and mourned deaths.  I have laughed.  I have cried.  I've been broken, only to be restored.  I've been humbled, I've been proud.

But despite all of that, walking down the hill towards that beautiful cross that overlooks the city of Antigua, Guatemala, it was as if no time had passed.

God does that sometimes, doesn't He?

He seemingly brings us backwards, just to show how far we've come.

I've often felt like our lives here on earth are just concentric circles, getting smaller and smaller as we age.  I know I feel like I've learned the same lessons over and over again, but with a slightly different twist that only age, experience and wisdom can produce.

I forgot how much I love Guatemala.  I forgot how peaceful it is there.  I forgot how convicting, yet freeing it is to journey to a third world country and leave the comforts of home.

I needed a sweet reminder, and like a massive tidal wave of memories, it hit me.

I'll leave you with the lyrics to a song that has been stuck in my head for the past week.  I encourage you to take a listen.

From "The Call" by Regina Spektor
Let your memories grow stronger and stronger
'Til they're before your eyes
You'll come back when they call you
No need to say goodbye.

See you soon, old friend.  I'm confident this isn't goodbye, but see you later.

No comments :

Post a Comment