Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Tuesday Top 10.

In honor of my obsession with lists and to force me to blog on a semi-regular basis, I give you...

Tuesday Top 10!

To catch up with my first (and last) Top 10, hop over to Top 10 Ways to Stay Grounded.

For most of Houston, including our little family of 3, yesterday was Back to School Monday!  I could practically hear the Hallelujah chorus singing in the heavens as millions of mamas dropped their little ones in their respective air conditioned hallways of learning.

In addition to the luxury of a child-less grocery store trip, I am looking forward to a little independent down time where I can devote myself, mind, body and soul to my first and longest love affair.  Reading.

I LOVE READING.  AND BOOKS.

So, without further ado, I give you my....Top 10 Books on my Reading List.

1.  The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.  
I may or may not have accidentally/on purpose gotten myself a pity invite to a friend's book club.  I'm really hoping she remembers she invited me.

2.  A History of Modern Israel by Colin Shindler.
Because who really understands the constant crisis going on in Israel? 

3.  The Locust Effect by Gary A. Haugen.
Super pumped about this one!  I plan on pairing it with this Bible study on justice.

4.  Silence by Shusaku Endo.
Set in 16th century Japan, an historical novel about Portuguese missionaries who travel to Japan during a time of Christian persecution by the hands of Japanese feudal lords.

5.  Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn.
Written by the first married couple to win the Pulitzer Prize for journalism.

6.  Art Briles: Looking Up: My Journey from Tragedy to Triumph by Nick Eatman.  (Foreword by Robert Griffin III).
Because football.  Sic 'em!

7.  Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo.
Life, death and hope in a Mumbai Undercity.

8.  Carry on, Warrior: The Power of Embracing Your Messy, Beautiful Life by Glennon Doyle Melton.
This sounds like a pep talk written just for me.

9.  So What's the Difference? by Fritz Ridenour.
A look at 20 worldviews, faiths and religions and how they compare to Christianity.

10.  If I Stay by Gayle Forman.
Ok, technically I have already read this one, and technically it's teen fiction, but this was just an enjoyable book.  A super quick read about a girl trapped between living and dying and her battle to choose between the two.  As a medical professional, I've heard similar stories of experiences from patients in the throes of death and I just find this to be a fascinating subject packaged in a teen romance novel.  

There you have it, folks.  Happy reading!


No comments :

Post a Comment