Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Are you in need of a spiritual pep talk?

I loosely follow Beth Moore's blog, so when I found out she was doing a new summer Bible study, I was encouraged to study alongside her.  I reached out to some friends, and a new(ish) friend offered to do it with me and I was so excited!

Beth Moore is not my absolute favorite, but I have enjoyed several of her studies, and I love the camaraderie she promotes among women.  Being a mama has shown me a HUGE need for female companionship that I frankly never knew was there.


So when I saw that her study was on 1 and 2 Thessalonians, I figured this study would be a great one for me to jump in on.  I mean, who really knows anything about 1 and 2 Thessalonians?  Well, now that I am about 3/4 of the way through the study, I can proudly say "This girl!"

Today's study was light and fluffy...which is great because I have been feeling tired and heavy.  There wasn't a lot of word study, examining the original Greek, or deep spiritual concepts to unpack.  The following verses are just a great go-to if you feel stuck in your walk, if you're feeling discouraged, or if you just need a little reminder of why we're all here.

So here goes...

1 Thessalonians 5:16-22
"Rejoice always! Pray constantly.  Give thanks in everything, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.  Don't stifle the Spirit.  Don't despise prophecies, but test all things.  Hold on to what is good.  Stay away from any kind of evil."

As a checklist-kind-of-a-woman, these verses just really jive with me.  

Not that any of these exhortations are easy.  If this were translated into Megan-ese, it would read more like, "Rejoice sometimes, pray when you feel like it, give thanks when you remember."

Yikes.

So enjoy some light reading, friend, and I hope that you feel a bit encouraged today.

No comments :

Post a Comment